Sunday, February 19, 2012

Weekly Wrap Up - Sick Kid Edition

Em's been really sick this week with a bacterial infection - so not much schoolwork was done. 

I would have to say that this week was all about the "unschooling".   I guess I'm part unschooler, part Charlotte Mason, part traditional, and a little piece of just about everything else!  LOL  You don't get much more eclectic than that. 

This post is linked up with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers!



We found the most awesome free link through Homeschool Freebies and checked out the size of the universe.  If you haven't gone to this site, it's a must see!  Amazing to realize just how small we are in the gist of things.

Another wonderful link that was posted this week was Free Rice.  I've seen similar ones before, but on this site you can practice multiplication tables, geography, language skills and even human anatomy while 'earning' rice that will be donated to the hungry.  I think it's a great way to give your child a heart to give while practicing skills. 

Oddly enough, I got the song from Lady & the Tramp stuck in my head and sang it to Emme "We are Siamese if you please, We are Siamese if you don't please" - remember that?  We looked up the clip on You Tube which led us to a study of racism in Disney movies.  I remember going to see "Aladdin" in the theater with my ex-husband on one of our first dates.  (He's from Jordan)  I remember feeling uncomfortable with the portrayal of several of the Arab characters in the movie - very stereotypical.  Anyway - I'm not banning Disney movies or anything - but there were some pretty disgraceful portrayals of Latinos, African-Americans, Arabs, Orientals, etc. 

Emily also worked a lot on her creative writing skills and drawing - she is writing and illustrating two different stories. 

Anything to keep a kid busy when they are sick!

By the way - she is fully recovered now and we will be back to full speed Monday!

Sherry



No comments:

Post a Comment